The Renton School District facilitates a variety of opportunities for students to become prepared for the future.
A core value is to ensure that there is equity and access for all students.
Students, Parents, and Educators can find current opportunities related to the world of employment including
information on career fairs, job openings, apprenticeships, and internships- as well as events and opportunities happening in the Renton School District.
Internships/Apprenticeships (Earn as You Learn)
- Walgreen Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship| Attn: Seniors| Open Applications
- Walker's Mazda & Subaru| Ages 16+| Open Applications
- Port of Seattle Summer Internships | Attn: 16+|Open Applications
- Amazon Internships-Open| Attn: Seniors| Open Applications
- Seattle Children's Nurse Camp| Age 16+| Applications due April 8, 2023
- AJAC Youth Apprenticeship| Age 16+| Applications Due June 1, 2023
Walgreen Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship| Attn: Seniors| Open Applications
Our pharmacy technician positions have undergone an exciting transformation, moving from a transaction-based environment to a much more patient-centric one. As a Walgreens Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Technician Apprentice, you'll be front and center - interacting with our customers and developing strong patient relationships. Pharmacy is the core of our business, and our pharmacy technicians enjoy all the tools and support - including the latest technology - to grow their careers and reach their goals.
Apply here at Walgreens!
- Prefer six months of experience in a retail environment
- Prefer to have prior work experience with Walgreens
- Prefer good math skills so they can fill prescriptions accurately, including counting, measuring and weighing medications
- Prefer good computer skills
- Prefer the knowledge of store inventory control
- Prefer PTCB certification.
- Assist the pharmacy in the performance of other Pharmacy Department duties in accordance with Company policies and procedures
- Responsible for using the pharmacy systems to obtain patient and drug information and process prescriptions
- Earns and maintains PTCB certification through the designated PTCB training program and/or state required certification/registration
- Resolve customer issued and answers questions to ensure a positive customer experience
Walker's Mazda & Subaru| Ages 16+| Open Applications
- Introduce student to multi-faceted dealership business
- Data Input
- Document Scanning
- Learn duties/task for Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Title Clerk, & Payroll
Additional duties assigned as learning increases After one-year, may move to full time.
Parts Department 16+
- Training in receiving incoming freight
- Parts data entry
- Learn how to correctly put stock away
- Learn how to submit and collect on damages parts claims
- Training on proper check all items to a packing slip to make sure we received correct shipment
Auto Technician 18+
- Performing automotive maintenance and repairs including but not limited to: maintenance services, tire changes, chassis alignment, brake replacement, failed part replacement and electrical diagnosis
- On-line certification training
Students training in this position for one year will be able to enter the work force at an entry level automotive technician
Students training in the position two years will be able to enter the work force as an intermediate level automotive technician
Port of Seattle Summer Internships | Attn: 16+|Open Applications
Why intern with the Port?
It's not just another summer job. Few organizations, public or private, can offer high schools interns the experience the Port of Seattle provides:
- Jumpstart your future professional career
- Work experience on your resume at a well-known public organization with a long history
- Selfie-worthy work locations at SEA Airport or along the Seattle waterfront
- Real work on real projects that impact local communities and the regional economy—no coffee runs
- 100 percent of our internships are paid
The Port of Seattle offers high school internships to explore careers within our organization that fall into the following career focus areas:
- Aviation Operations
- Maritime Operations
- Community Engagement
- Green Jobs
Gain career skills:
The Port of Seattle’s High School Internship Program is designed to provide you with the skills you need to be successful in a corporate environment.
Interns will learn the Port’s Code of Conduct and communications technology, as well as business skills such as: diversity and inclusion, process improvement, project management, networking, public speaking, communications, and leadership.
A variety of career awareness activities will be available during the summer to promote learning and increase exposure to various aspects of the Port. This includes mentorship meetings, facility tours, LinkedIn 101, and resume workshops.
Qualified high school interns are:
a) At least 16 years of age before the beginning of the internship
b) Currently enrolled in high school, recently graduated from high school (no more than 12 months removed), or currently in a GED completion program
c) Ideal candidates have demonstrated the ability to complete projects, have volunteered with community organizations, and/or participated in extracurricular activities
d) Authorized to work in the United States
e) Fully vaccinated for Covid-19
Fill out the online application. Make sure to add your contact and educational information.
- Resume: Upload your prepared resume
- Cover Letter (optional): Upload your prepared cover letter
How to Apply
The Port of Seattle accepts applications online for our summer internship program in May. Applications for winter will open in November. To check out available opportunities, please browse our Current Opportunities.
Amazon Internships-Open| Attn: Seniors| Open Applications
If you're interested in a career in a particular trade or vocational industry, we have ways to help you. Take advantage of specific Apprenticeships and certifications directly through Amazon. Or join our Pathways Program, which includes education in multiple industries- all for free.
Seattle Children's Nurse Camp| Age 16+| Applications due April 8, 2023
AJAC Youth Apprenticeship| Age 16+| Applications Due June 1, 2023
Youth Apprentice Nights
AJAC and Renton School District are launching the fifth cohort of
aerospace and advanced manufacturing Youth Apprenticeships this spring!
How Can A Student Benefit From Youth Apprenticeship?
AJAC Youth Apprentices will receive tuition-free college credits from a local technical college. This program is a combination of paid on-the-job
training (part-time) and college-level classroom instruction. This is a no-cost program to qualified participants. Upon completion, students will receive industry recognized journey-level certification as a Production Technician.
Pre-register for the information session on April 28, 2023
Time: 6:00p.m. - 7:00p.m.
- Virtual Career Fair Friday's
- Annual Career Showcase| Juniors & Seniors| Reg by April 20| Event April 27, 2023
- VIRTUAL CAREER FAIRS
Virtual Career Fair Friday's
VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR FRIDAY'S
School year 2022-2023
- September 9th, 2022: Resume, Cover Letter, and Interviews
- September 23rd, 2022: Trades
- October 7th, 2022: Business & Marketing
- October 21st, 2022: Health Care & Allied Health
- November 4th, 2022: Industry Highlights
- November 18th, 2022: STEM
- December 2nd, 2022: Industry Highlights
- December 16th, 2022: Human Services
- January 6th, 2023: Industry Highlights
- January 20, 2023: Business & Marketing
- February 3rd, 2023: Health Care & Allied Health
- February 17th, 2023: Trades
- March 3rd, 2023: STEM
- March 17th, 2023: Interviews & Re'sume'
- March 31st, 2023: Entertainment fields
- April 14, 2023: Engineering
- April 28th, 2023: Healthcare
- May 12th, 2023: Project Management
- May 26th, 2023: Gaming
- June 9th, 2023: First Responders
Renton School District has teamed up with *Pathful to bring you Career Fair Friday's! All students are invited to attend.
Every other Friday visit the Career Fair playlist below to explore your many interests and find the best fit for your happiness and future!
*Pathful connects educators and learners with a network of industry professionals, virtually, bringing real-world relevance and career exposure to all students. Pathful also provides a skills-based volunteering platform for organizations to extend education outreach, and build their brand among the future workforce.
Annual Career Showcase| Juniors & Seniors| Reg by April 20| Event April 27, 2023
Expiration date April 27, 2023
Join us on April 27, 2023 for the chance to meet with over 100 companies to get an on the spot interview and find your future career.
Over ten school districts will be participating in this event at the Kent Showare Center. Lunch is provided.
Register using your school’s code no later than April 20, 2023
VIRTUAL CAREER FAIRS
Career Connect Washington - Sessions are aired at 3:30 PM PCT on Youtube
Learn more about Apprenticeship, Construction Training, Continuing Education, and Skill Assessments at CITC.
- Scope Project (School Re-Engagement)| Ages 14-24| Open Applications
- BGWP (Black Girl Who paints)| Ages: 6-18| Open Applications
- Renton Teacher Academy| High School| Fall 2023
Scope Project (School Re-Engagement)| Ages 14-24| Open Applications
SCOPE Project: Youth Reengagements (14-24 year olds)
- Explore successful education pathways
- Discover your passion through summer activities
- Remove barriers
Please contact one of the Project SCOPE Youth Advocates below with any questions and/or to make an appointment.
- Ana Verduzco email@example.com
- Adriane Karg firstname.lastname@example.org
- Angel Berry email@example.com
BGWP (Black Girl Who paints)| Ages: 6-18| Open Applications
Are you a BGWP, a black girl who paints? Then submit your application for the Girls Award, a monthly award that provides a $100 e-gift card for art supplies.
Do you know a BGWP? Nominate a BGWP here!
Awards available for BGWP between the ages of 6-18.
Renton Teacher Academy| High School| Fall 2023
SAVE YOUR SPOT NOW FOR TEACHER ACADEMY FALL 2023
Renton Teacher Academies are Growing Our Own Paraeducators and Teachers by recruiting students like you who are interested in becoming World Changers in our classrooms! SOPHOMORES & JUNIORS contact the Teacher Academy teacher from your school today!
Teacher Academy – Hazen High School
Ms. Natalia (Tasha) Schroeder
Teacher Academy – Lindbergh High School
Mr. Derrick Holt
Teacher Academy – Renton High School
Ms. Vanessa Barut-Del Fierro
Teacher Academy – Talley High School
Ms. Tracy Robnett
- Weekly Internships at RSD Elementary & Middle Schools
- Experience Workshops, Classes, Campus Visits offered by CWU professors
- Prepare for Paraeducator Exam
- Earn Paraeducator Certificate
- Earn College Credit from CWU
- Educator’s Rising Club
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in our schools
- Lesson Planning and Design
- Instructional Best Practices
- Culturally Responsive Classroom Management
- Alternative Pathways to Teaching
Happening Just at Your School!
Hazen High School
Scheduled Visits and Contact Info
Military recruiters from the United States Air Force, Army, Marines, National Guard, Navy visit Hazen once a month to share information with students. These visits usually take place during lunch either in the Commons or the Cafeteria. Feel free to chat with these recruiters if you are interested. If you would like to meet with any of these recruiters outside of those specific days, you may contact them directly or let Mr. Nguyen know. They are more than happy to drop by Hazen to meet with you!
Staff Sergeant Sydney Moore
Phone: (253) 389-0143
www.gowaguard.com (Links to an external site.)
When: 1st Tuesday of every month during lunch in the Commons/Cafeteria
Contact Email: Sergeant First Class Aaron Smith
Phone (Office): (206) 431-3147
Phone (Cell): (206) 258-0896
www.goarmy.com (Links to an external site.)
When: Second Tuesday of every month in the Commons/Cafeteria
Petty Officer Thabo "Moe" Moyo
Phone (Office) (206) 394-7791
Phone (Cell): (206) 462-9140
www.navy.com (Links to an external site.)
When: Third Wednesday of every month during lunch in the Commons/Cafeteria
Staff Sergeant Abigail Paisley
Phone (Office): (206) 575-7825
Phone (Cell) (253) 306-3394
www.airforce.com (Links to an external site.)
When: First Wednesday of every month during lunch in the Commons/Cafeteria
Visit Todaysmilitary.com to learn about all of the military service branches, benefits, pay, career ooportunities and more!
Lindbergh High School
Renton High School
For Events and Happenings not listed on this page, please see your College & Career Specialist!
- Any Time !
Seniors asking for support with financial aid information or any other kind of post-secondary support, please reach out to Debbie Currie or send an email to RHS Career Center.
Talley High School
Visit the Talley High School Google Classroom for upcoming events on and off campus!
For Events and Happenings not listed on this page, please see your College & Career Specialist!
Are you a working student?
Work Site Learning (WSL) is a wonderful learning experience for juniors and seniors that connects knowledge and skills obtained in the classroom to those needed in the work environment. If you have a job and meet the requirements of the Work Site Learning program, you can receive one-half credit for every 180 hours you work.
Parent School Work Authorization Forms
Parent School Work Authorization
All working minors, a person younger than eighteen, must have a Parent/School Work Authorization on file with their employer with the required Parent and School authorization prior to beginning their first day of work (there is a special summer form if the minor starts work during the summer).
Employer initiates the form
- This is a legal/state document that should be completed in blue or black pen
- Employers initiate the Parent/School Work Authorization process then keep on file once all signatures have been obtained. Students should not work until completed.
- Employers need to complete & sign their sections, including hours
- We no longer accept PSWA forms prior to 2018
- NOTE: Students CANNOT start work until their neighborhood school schedule ends.
- Employers need to renew every school year by the end of September
- If employers have any questions, they can contact TeenSafety@LnI.wa.gov or call 1-866-219-7321
- Need to complete and sign their sections prior to school signing, take to Career/Opportunity Center.
- Renton School District WILL NOT sign the Variance to work 28-hours if the student has anything below a “C” in the last two completed trimesters or current trimester.
- SCHOOL (Renton School District)
- Last to sign: ALL sections must be complete and correct
- Student takes to Career Center and pick-up to return to employer.
- Last to sign: ALL sections must be complete and correct
All forms need to be renewed each September, no later than September 30th. The school DOES NOT guarantee SAME DAY turn-around. Once the form has been verified and processed, the student should look for an e-mail saying it is ready to pick-up!
Teen Workers Rights
- Career Exploration
- Core Plus Maritime
- Pathful- Connecting Industry to Classrooms
- Explore More
- Military Branches
- South Seattle College Apprenticeship Programs
- Walgreen Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship| Ages: 18+| Open Applications
Worksource: Tukwila, WA
Looking for a Job or Career? Worksource is a free public agency that assists those looking for employment.
- Research Careers/Job Boards
- Workshops and Hiring Events
- Training and Other Events
- Labor Market Information
- Resume' assistance
- Budget Calculator
- Persons with Disabilities
- And More
Labor and Industry states that an apprenticeship combines on-the-job training with related instruction, all under the supervision of a journey-level professional. Apprentices are paid while they learn and develop knowledge, skills and abilities for a new Career Field.
To find an apprenticeship that is right for you use, Apprenticeship Finder, Labor & Industries Apprenticeship Look Up, or schedule in-person counseling.
Explore more on the Career Center’s Apprenticeship page.
Explore your Career Path at ReadyWA.org
King County Water District virtual job-shadowing events
Bellevue College Institute for Business and Information Technology Advising Day
Find your path, prepare for your journey, and/or connect with colleges at College and Career Compass Washington.
Washington Business Week Virtual Leadership Camp- see Virtual Information Sessions for camp dates and details
Core Plus Maritime
Washington State is rich in marine resources and maritime careers. Core Plus Maritime helps students prepare for career paths that literally span the globe.
Pathful- Connecting Industry to Classrooms
Pathful is FREE to Renton School District Students
Pathful connects educators and learners with a network of industry professionals, virtually, bringing real-world relevance and career exposure to all students. Pathful also provides a skills-based volunteering platform for organizations to extend education outreach, and build their brand among the future workforce.
Click on one of the topics below for more information.
- Explore your Career Path at ReadyWA.org
- King County Water District virtual job-shadowing events
- Bellevue College Institute for Business and Information Technology Advising Day
- Find your path, prepare for your journey, and/or connect with colleges at College and Career Compass Washington.
- Occupational Mobility Explorer
Military recruiters from the United States Air Force, Army, Marines, National Guard, Navy, and more, visit the high schools once a month to share information with students. These visits may be in the Career Center or at a table during lunch. This information may be updated throughout the year. Learn more about the brances of service at TodaysMilitary.com
Futures magazine provides the students and families with a sneak peak into the lives of our serviceman; from their careers, their professional goals, their daily life at work and off work, and educational opportunities and benefits.
South Seattle College Apprenticeship Programs
Walgreen Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship| Ages: 18+| Open Applications
Walgreens is proud to invest in and champion an “earn while you learn” Pharmacy Technician Training Program recognized by ASHP and the Department of Labor. This apprenticeship program gives you an entry point to a career in healthcare by guiding you in taking steps towards becoming a certified pharmacy technician, through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Certified Pharmacy Technician or Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT), and helping you maintain the high level of skill required in the pharmacy care industry. The program arms you with a nationally recognized, portable credential that will help you advance your career.
Job Search & Postings
Tools for Job Search
A resume is a document that job applicants use to summarize their work experience, educational background, work experience, volunteer activities, and special skills.
Your resume communicates your qualifications and your brand—who you are and what makes you different-to employers and recruiters. In a tough job market, you need a resume’ that helps you stand out in a sea of applicants. Ultimately, the purpose of a strategically, targeting, polished resume’ is to get the interview.
Your resume should be truthful, organized, error free, and show how your experiences match what the employer wants.
Watch videos on how create a resume. Then use this worksheet to plan out your information. Be sure to add your CTE coursework and what you learned along with languages you speak/read/write.
Onet assists you with skills used in your jobs and classes.
Action/Vivid Verbs should be present tense.
Resume Builder assists with you with building your resume after you have gathered the information.
Visit your Opportunity Center for additional assistance.
A cover letter usually is three paragraphs long and outlines why you are applying for a specific position, a brief overview of your professional background and what makes you uniquely qualified for the job, refer to job posting for key words. While some employers require a cover letter to apply, others make it optional.
Thank you letter for interview
A thank you letter or thank you email is an effective way to stay current with the interviewers you meet. It can set you apart from other candidates and increase your chances of getting a job. A well-written thank you note also allows you to provide more clarity on issues raised at your interview and can give you an advantage when competing with candidates with similar qualifications.
Industry leader in pay with lucrative bonuses and excellent insurance
Sick pay, paid time off, 401(k), associate discounts and more
Referral bonuses up to $3,000
Learning funds and college scholarships
Award-winning training through University of Panda
Leadership development opportunities
We train, develop and promote from within
Fast-track advancement opportunities
Person growth through courses and coaching
Learn more and apply today at: https://www.pandacareers.com/
District commits to student excellence and their social-emotional wellbeing.
Free tutoring for students 13 and older
To help students with personal learning goals, Renton School District has partnered with Tutor.com to provide free online tutoring services for all district middle and high school students. Tutor.com is one of the largest online tutoring services with more than 3,000 tutors who provide online 1-to-1 learning support to our middle and high school students:
- in more than 200 subjects, including drop-off essay review, test prep, and more.
Learn more at our Tutor.com webpage.
Counseling option for students 13 and older
As part of our ongoing commitment to students mental health and wellbeing, Renton School District has partnered with Talkspace, a free, virtual service that connects district students 13 years and older with licensed mental health providers for counseling, therapy, and support.
Learn more at our Talkspace webpage.
Search for job and career opportunities using these Job Search Engines:
- CareerOneStop - Your source for career exploration, training, and jobs
- Google, “Jobs near me"
- Glassdoor allows you to find the right job, research companies, compare salaries, and apply to jobs.
- Goodwill Job Training
- GSBA (Greater Seattle Business Association) Job Postings- The listings are job openings from GSBA member businesses. Any questions or for further information, please contact the company directly.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- USA JOBS - Government Job Listings
- WorkSourceWA -
- My Dashboard- Access all of your information in one place
My Schedule- Manage your appointments & events
Resumes- Prepare for the next opportunity
Cover Letters- Prepare and have ready
Saved Job- Review jobs of interest
Applied Job- Jobs you've applied to
Career Profile- Match your interests to careers
Workshops & Hiring Events- Find upcoming events, workshops, and appointments in your area
AND MUCH MUCH MORE!!!!
- My Dashboard- Access all of your information in one place
YMCA Virtual Job Club
The YMCA is hosting a weekly virtual Job Club for anyone who needs support seeking employment.
To receive updates and job listings contact Casper Davis and/or Ann Beasley
To receive updates on programs and events at the Y Social Impact Center, text YSIC to 55678
WorkSource is a statewide partnership of state, local and nonprofit agencies that provides an array of employment and training services to job seekers and employers in Washington. In addition to job search, Hiring and Career Fairs, and Apprenticeships, receive assistance on Resume, Cover Letter, and other tools.
To receive personalized assistance in the job hunt, contact WorkSource.